Monday, May 2, 2011

April 28th 2011

Gregory Crewdson and his creation of elaborate sets and his creation of the unreal closely embodies my ideas with photography. Crewdsons ability to create surreal environments while still maintaining a grasp of proper photographic technique really catches my eye. Conceptually Crewdson deals with elaborate story lines, sometimes only a single page from a story and other times in bodying a photojournalistic ideal to his elaborate sets.

Gregory Crewdson, Untitled (Beneath the Roses), 2004
www.whitecube.com

For the comparison between my work and Gregory Crewdson's, I chose some works that I did last fall that Embodied a similar spirit of Crewdson. With a somewhat journalistic approach, but more so based on the staging of events.
This particular photograph intrudes on a private moment in a private residence, although 100 percent staged, similar to that of Mr. Crewdson.

Ty Giebel, Doing Business. November 2010.

For this photo I approached it with a clean and simple lighting setup. I decided not to use a more dramitic lighting setup which I feel seperates me from Gregory Crewdson and his style.

Ty Giebel, Having a Wee, November 2010.

For this image I used a more dramatic lighting setup to construe a depth to the image, while still maintaining focus on the subject matter. The subject is that of concern and worry, never mind that they are toys standing on a pile of sand in my house.

Ty Giebel, Break Down, November 2010.

While Gregory Crewdson is not a landscape photography persay he does have aspects similar to Jeff Wall and his technique of staged scenarios. About landscape the text says " landscape can be defined as vistas which encompass both nature and the changes which humans have effected in the natural"(304).

No comments:

Post a Comment